Total Pageviews

Monday, June 13, 2011

Celebrity is Overrated

                                          My younger sister once barged into my room half elated and the other half was annoyed.  I gave her the 'child get to the point or walk out' loo k with my eyebrow twitched.  "Yoh guess what..."  They had just come from Maponya mall with her friend.  They were in a certain store and suddenly the world come to a sudden halt, *background music*, in walked Connie Masilo Ferguson and her husband Shona Ferguson.  The thrill in her voice as she told me this was enough to give me a rush for "days".  They went up to the couple and said hello.  "Shona is so nice hey, he spoke to us" she told me, but her face changed when she spoke about Connie or Karabo as she referred to her.  "She is soo rude".  For the first time in this conversation I stood up and listened eagerly waiting to hear what the great Karabo Moroka had done wrong.  "She just said hi and walked past.  She didn't even talk to us".  *blank stare*  I tried to play devil's advocate and told her that "well maybe she was in a hurry, or she was busy or..." but her mind was made.  Karabo Moroka is rude and there was nothing I could say to convince her otherwise.

We often confuse what people are famous for with who they really are.  And when you finally meet them and they do not meet your expectations or hear something that is out of character according to the romantic perception you had about them, you feel offended.  The older you become (this of course is in reference to my younger sister), you will have different types of relations with people and will at some stage realise (hopefully) that there is a big difference between the great work that people do and who they really are.  Whether it's celebrities, teachers/lecturers or just that cool guy in your class who always gets straight A's. 
 
She is sixteen now and apart from the hopes of meeting Justine Bieber and being cast in the next High School Musical, she is a little less gullible.  She has learned that great singer doesn't mean great person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment